The love of gardening is a seed once sown that never dies. Gertrude Jekyll

Annie's Little Plot

Annie's Little Plot

Sunday 24 February 2013

To a snowdrop

What is it about the snowdrop that so excites the gardener, probably the fact that it flowers in the depth of winter and yet is so delicate and beautiful a flower that you just prize it for its presence. When I moved to my current house it was the flower that I was most excited to see poking out of the ground that first winter, I'd never had any of my own before! I don't know what variety it is but it seems to like where it is as its spreading.
They are gaining some notoriety now for some of the mania around the different cultivars which maybe to the untrained eye can be different to tell apart. It seems that certain features get people very excited, such as those with some yellow rather than green at the top of the flower and green tips. I can certainly see the attraction and would like to know more. A phenonomenum has been spawned of Galanthophilia, but this is not a new term as I first thought it was, E.A.Bowles (1865-1954) the gardener and writer was said to have coined the term when writing to a fellow snowdrop admirer. Snowdrops do tend to capture the imagination of the media and there has been much in the news recently due to the record bidding wars for rare bulbs. Last year Thompson & Morgan, the seed company, paid £725 for Galanthus woronowii ‘Elizabeth Harrison’. This has a striking golden yellow ovary and yellow markings on the petals. The previous record was £360 for a single rare bulb of Galanthus ‘Green Tear’. Just thought I would have a quick look on ebay and you can snap up a bulb of  Galanthus 'Green Tear' for a bargain price of £227.22 though it ends in 22 minutes so be quick*.
Snowdrops are a favourite topic for garden bloggers at the moment and who can blame them there are not many plants to highlight at this time of year. Anyway every year I say I'm going to visit a snowdrop garden and every year so far the time has passed and I've missed out but this year I had the opportunity to visit Hodsock Priory, near Retford. What a treat on a most glorious sunny day and its certainly popular amongst visitors who flocked there in their thousands to view this humble flower.
Here they really gear the whole visitor experience to the snowdrop, with themed events, guided walks but there is also a food and drink fairs and a cafe. Plus importantly a plant sale so you can buy some of the plants that you see in the garden. Though it was busy you could escape from the crowds if you got there early and headed for the woods.

A carpet of snowdrops there for all to see, snuggled up in a duvet of beech leaves, you have to be quick to take photos and avoid taking shots of people scrabbling on the ground taking closeups! Never seen so many bottoms in the air! This garden was more about the mass of snowdrops rather than individual varieties and specific cultivars, there were relatively few labels on plants which I quite liked as sometimes they can be too intrusive and take away from the actual beauty of a garden. So its not a snowdrop garden for the real cultivar enthusiasts but maybe I just didn't see all the different varieties.
There is an open-air cafe in the glade when you can get a good cup of tea and a cake and sit round a bonfire to keep warm. It was a cold day but was a clear blue sky and sunshine and gave me a much needed boost.
Moving on from the woodland and you head to the more formal garden which has some amazing winter flowers.


Above is the Fan lawn where they also have events in the summer like theatre productions, all garden now seem to have to diversify to keep going.
It was also a good time to see that other highly prized winter flower, the aconite.

A stunning Witch Hazel.
 Hellebores and Irises.



Cyclamen and snowflake.

 A huge Garrya ellipta, with long long tassels next to a row of sweet smelling Christmas box, Sarcococca confusa.
A lovely specimen tree of Parrotia persica (Persian Ironwood) with dark red Witch Hazel like flowers on the bare stems.
The whole garden was a delight from start to finish and I think it is developing all the time. It will be interesting to visit at another time of year and see how its looks as a garden. I think the snowdrops are followed by bluebells later in the year.

This part of the world is actually where my mums family are from and all my brother and sisters have really strong memories of visiting my mums sister, my Aunty Lily (here is a fact about my mums sisters they are all names after flowers, Daisy (my mum), Lily, Iris and Violet. How great is that, its no wonder that I'm mad about plants and gardening, its in my genes). Aunty Lily lived near a farm and had a gorgeous garden, had chickens even a goat at one time and I have oh so many happy memories of visiting her and my Uncle Wilf. So while I was here I went to see her old house, sadly they are no longer with us, but it didn't look the same, though it was good to reminisce. Lily is buried at Babworth Church so I went to visit her grave is in a corner plot which backs onto fields almost overlooking where she used to live so a lovely spot.
The churchyard itself was full of snowdrops and in a few weeks time it will be a mass of daffodils.
Finally, William Wordsworth - To a snowdrop.

Lone flower, hemmed in with snows and white as they
But hardier far, once more I see thee bend
Thy forehead, as if fearful to offend,
Like an unbidden guest. Though day by day,
Storms, sallying from the mountain-tops, waylay
The rising sun, and on the plains descend;
Yet art thou welcome, welcome as a friend
Whose zeal outruns his promise! Blue-eyed May
Shall soon behold this border thickly set
With bright jonquils, their odours lavishing
On the soft west-wind and his frolic peers;
Nor will I then thy modest grace forget,
Chaste Snowdrop, venturous harbinger of Spring,
And pensive monitor of fleeting years!


* Actually I took so long writing the post that the sale finished, the bulb went for £330.01!

22 comments:

  1. I went to a seed swap today and someone was giving away chunks of snow drops so I was sure to grab one. I was thrilled because I don't have them in my garden. They're so pretty I think I'll add more this fall but I won't pay $330!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seed swap's are great ideas, and that is great if you can get plants too. Hope you enjoy your snowdrops for many years to come!

      Delete
  2. What a lovely, if partly poignant, post and wonderful pictures. There's a surprising amount of colour to be seen at this time of year.
    I like the idea of tea and cake round a bonfire, all much welcome I would guess. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Flighty, Yes I was surprised how much colour there was. The bonfire was certainly warming.
      PS the seeds arrived today thanks very much, looking forward to having some bright colours in my garden in the summer xx

      Delete
  3. Goodness, it's surprising what some people will pay, especially from somewhere such as Ebay. It looks like you had a lovely day at Hodsock Priory, and the church yard looks really pretty too covered in snowdrops. How lovely that your mum and her sisters were all named after flowers, you've definitely got gardening in your genes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I was shocked, especially on something like ebay, like you say, you have to be trusting.
      Yes it is definitely in the genes, I've 5 siblings (not named after flowers this time!) and we all love gardening, its great fun when we all get together and talk about all things green!

      Delete
  4. Lovely post Annie. I planted some snowdrop bulbs indoors this year but they haven't flowered - guess they don't like the warmth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elaine, yes maybe they need this cold weather to flower well, that is a shame though.

      Delete
  5. I'm still waiting for my snowdrops to open but we have many of the flowers featured in your post. I guess at this time of year there is just a short list of options for garden interest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes not too many options, but there was a surprising amount of colour. Like you mine are really only just starting to open now.

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful post and blog you have. I'm over from Jo's where she has you as blogger of the month. I'm so glad I came, I'll be back for sure....and I too am a huge fan of snowdrops, magical little flowers.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks snowbird, that is such a treat from Jo, she is so kind. I've been visiting your lovely blog too. Its great that I'm getting to know some new bloggers.

      Delete
  7. Those are very lovely and pretty flowers. I love looking at them. Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Annie! I'm here at the behest of Jo... I like what I see - particularly the multiplicity of photos, which is what I try to do on my own blog too. Hope to visit again soon...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming to visit. I love taking photos as you might have guessed. Going over to visit your blog in return!

      Delete
  9. Hodstock Priory looks lovely. I will have to add this to places to visit soon. I love the bulbs all blooming now and the blossom appearing. Let's hope the earth starts warming up a bit for digging! Take care. Chel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was lovely definitely worth a visit for the snowdrops. Yes we need some warmth!

      Delete
  10. What a lovely place to visit, I am a sucker for large swathes of bulbs under trees, bet the bluebells look amazing too. I planted my first snowdrops in this garden this afternoon, though I am sure they will not be the last.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I might have to revisit for the Bluebells!

      Delete
  11. Hi Annie...I just took a few keystrokes over form Jo's blog 'The Good Life'. It's very nice to meet you and although I didn't read every post I can see from going back how much work you have put into your garden and allotment. I will be sure to pop by again to see how you are getting on. Here's hoping that 2013 is a great year for growing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tanya for visiting. Yes I think all us bloggers and plot holders have got our fingers crossed for a better summer this year.

      Delete