The love of gardening is a seed once sown that never dies. Gertrude Jekyll

Annie's Little Plot

Annie's Little Plot

Saturday 16 July 2011

A kaleidoscope of colour!

The plot next to mine on the allotment looks amazing at the moment. Amongst his huge crop of onions he has allowed the opium poppy to self-seed. A multitude of pinks, reds and purple.
On my plot have one of my favourite plant colour combinations, blue and orange, from the Calendula and Cerinthe.

Another stunning bit of colour on the plot is the Ruby Chard.
 Have loads of flowers on the runner beans.
I have been having a serious problem with pigeons eating my brassicas. I didn't know what it was at first I thought it was slugs but realised it wasn't and also realised that nearly everyone nets their brassicas which should have give me a hint! Anyway once I realised I did net some of my crop but didn't have enough net at the time to net them all but the difference is obvious.

But I've finally got round to netting most plants now, maybe too late for some but we'll see.
The Broccoli is starting to have some flowers on already and the calabrese.

The courgettes are starting to bear fruit, both the usual courgettes and the round ones.

The shallots are starting to develop.
The garlic is huge now. Wish I knew whether it was ready or not!

No comments:

Post a Comment